- ˈbukɪʃ прил.
1) книжный Bookish men are remarkable for taciturnity. ≈ Любители книг отличаются молчаливостью.
3) педантичный Syn : pedantic, punctilious ∙ the bookish ≈ литературные круги книжный - a * way of speaking книжная речь ученый знающий жизнь только по книгам;
оторванный от жизни - a * cast of mind склонность к теоретизированию, отвлеченный ум педантичный литературный bookish книжный ~ педантичный;
the bookish литературные круги ~ педантичный;
the bookish литературные круги ~ ученый
Большой англо-русский и русско-английский словарь. 2001.
Смотреть что такое "bookish" в других словарях:
Bookish — Book ish, a. 1. Given to reading; fond of study; better acquainted with books than with men; learned from books. A bookish man. Addison. Bookish skill. Bp. Hall. [1913 Webster] 2. Characterized by a method of expression generally found in books;… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
bookish — index learned Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
bookish — 1560s, literary, from BOOK (Cf. book) (n.) + ISH (Cf. ish). In sense of overly studious it is recorded from 1590s … Etymology dictionary
bookish — academic, scholastic, *pedantic … New Dictionary of Synonyms
bookish — ► ADJECTIVE 1) devoted to reading and studying. 2) (of language) literary in style. DERIVATIVES bookishly adverb bookishness noun … English terms dictionary
bookish — [book′ish] adj. 1. of or connected with books 2. inclined to read and study; literary; scholarly 3. having mere book learning 4. pedantic; stodgy bookishly adv. bookishness n … English World dictionary
bookish — adjective /ˈbʊk.ɪʃ/ a) Given to reading; fond of study; better acquainted with books than with people; learned from books. From a child I was fond of reading, and all the little money that came into my hands was ever laid out in books. This… … Wiktionary
bookish — book|ish [ˈbukıʃ] adj someone who is bookish is more interested in reading and studying than in sports or other activities ▪ a shy bookish man … Dictionary of contemporary English
bookish — adjective 1 someone who is bookish is more interested in reading and studying than in sports or other activities: Bill was the studious, bookish type 2 based on books rather than on practical experience … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
bookish — [[t]b ʊkɪʃ[/t]] ADJ GRADED (disapproval) Someone who is bookish spends a lot of time reading serious book. Syn: studious … English dictionary
bookish — adjective Swann was always the bookish one in our group Syn: studious, scholarly, academic, intellectual, highbrow, erudite, learned, lettered, educated, well read, knowledgeable; cerebral, serious, earnest; pedantic … Thesaurus of popular words
- Bibliophile. An Illustrated Miscellany, Mount Jane, The ultimate gift for book lovers, this volume brims with literary treasures, all delightfully illustrated by beloved artist and founder of Ideal Bookshelf, Jane Mount. Book lovers, rejoice!… Категория: Публицистика на иностранных языках Издатель: Chronicle Books, Производитель: Chronicle Books, Подробнее Купить за 6456.74 руб
- Bibliophile. An Illustrated Miscellany, Mount Jane, The ultimate gift for book lovers, this volume brims with literary treasures, all delightfully illustrated by beloved artist and founder of Ideal Bookshelf, Jane Mount. Book lovers, rejoice!… Категория: Chronicle Books Серия: - Издатель: Chronicle Books, Подробнее Купить за 1905 руб
- Under My Skin, Laura Diamond, Bookish Brit Adam Gibson is one wonky heartbeat away from a fatal arrhythmia. He's torn between wanting to live and knowing that someone else must die in order for him to do so. He needs a… Категория: Взросление, факты о жизни Подробнее Купить за 1552 руб